Kaizen Training and Management Consultants Limited (KTMC) is the first Jamaican consultancy to be offering PECB certified training courses and management consultancy services in the new ISO standard, ISO 45001, Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements with guidance for use. ISO 45001 replaces OHSAS 18001 which had set out set out the minimum requirements for occupational health and safety management best practices in industries. The new ISO 45001 standard deals with health and safety at work and provides a clear framework for all organizations wishing to improve their Occupational Health & Safety (OH &S) performance. It is directed at the top management of an organization and is aimed at providing a safe and healthy workplace for employees and visitors. Furthermore, it puts into sharp focus all factors that might result in illness, injury, and in extreme cases death, by mitigating adverse effects on the physical, mental and cognitive condition of a person.
Facts about ISO 45001
- ISO 45001 draws on OHSAS 18001, the former benchmark for OH&S and is due to be phased in gradually over the next three years. Consequently, organizations will need to revise their current thinking and work practices in order to maintain organizational compliance.
- ISO 45001 is aligned to ISO 14001 as many organizations combine their OH&S and environmental functions internally. This is further enabled by the new level high structure with which all ISO management systems must comply.
- Organizations can safely use ISO 45001 to establish an effective OH&S management system
Benefits of ISO 45001
- It takes a risk-based approach to the OH&S management system itself, to ensure that it is effective and that it is being continually improved to meet an organization’s ever-changing “context”.
- , It ensures compliance with current legislation worldwide.
- All these measures combined can establish an organization’s reputation as a “safe place to work”, bringing a host of corollary benefits, from reducing insurance costs to improving employee morale – all while continuing to meet strategic targets.
“We are excited about ISO 45001, we believe this new standard will help to reduce fatalities and work-related injuries and reduce harm within workplaces”. These are sentiments shared by Managing Director of KTMC, Jacob McLean, who is a strong proponent of this new standard. McLean also highlighted, “KTMC is a safety organization…we believe in safety at the highest international standard and ISO 45001 is now the gold standard for occupational health and safety in industry and all types of organizations.” Therefore, without hesitation McLean has spearheaded the move to offer ISO 45001 training and consultation to Jamaican stakeholders.
KTMC is cognizant of International Labour Organization (ILO) statistics that indicate 2.78 million fatal accidents occur at work yearly. Therefore, every day, almost 7,700 persons die of work-related diseases or injuries. Also, there are some 374 million non-fatal work-related injuries and illnesses each year and many of these result in extended absences from work. KTMC will be challenging these devastating statistics by pushing local Jamaican companies to becoming ISO 45001 certified. The company also aims to encourage managers or consultants involved and concerned with Occupational Health and Safety Management, expert advisors seeking to master the implementation of an Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OH&S MS), individuals responsible for maintaining conformance with OH&S MS requirements, OH&S MS team members to become cognizant of the ISO 45001 if they haven’t already done so.
KTMC’s first training course is the PECB Certified ISO 45001 Lead Implementer and is scheduled for June 11-15, 2018. Already there is a buzz of interest from local Jamaican stakeholders in both the private and public sector about sending delegates to the training courses. The five-day intensive course is as follows:
Day 1: Introduction to ISO 45001 and initiation of an OHSMS
Day 2: Plan the implementation of an OHSMS
Day 3: Implementation of an OHSMS
Day 4: OHSMS monitoring, measurement, continuous improvement and preparation for a certification audit
Day 5: PECB Certification Exam
Delegates attending the training will receive the following entitlements:
- A training manual containing over 450 pages of information and practical examples
- A participation certificate of 31 CPD (Continuing Professional Development) credits
- A free retake of the exam if done within 12 months of failure.
Businesses want to be known for their alignment with the best international standards and practices in Occupational Health & Safety. Hence, KTMC will be providing consultancy services to any client organization seeking to establish, implement, manage and maintain an Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OH&S MS) based on ISO 45001.
Partner with Us
KTMC believes in solid partnerships for success. Therefore, we want organizations to partner with us and partake in our consultancy services so that they can prepare for certification against ISO 45001. All occupational health and safety professionals are invited to take safety seriously and crown their safety expertise with international certification by attaining certification in any PECB Certified ISO 45001 training courses offered through KTMC. These include: the ISO 45001 Foundation, Lead Implementer and Lead Auditor.